Today, Lorna of Gin & Lemonade answered some random questions, then asked some random questions of her own. She suggested responses be made in the comments, or for those of us who tend to be a little wordy, in a blog post of our own, linking to hers. So I’m doing that now, because a diversion from the world of wildfires consuming the western U.S., flooding consuming the southern U.S., and the political climate consuming everything else, is quite necessary.
1. What are you reading right now? Travel guides, because everyone needs to dream. And blogs, and some of the news that comes to me online – although I read less and less of that as time goes on.
2. How did you meet your best friends? Through my husband, through friends, all rather accidental and fortunate.
3. What makes you laugh? Watching the little critters outside, the frenetic chipmunks and squirrels, my friends, my furry girls, but mostly what makes me laugh are my Gep and my Kat. Those grown up kids of mine are such good friends.
4. What’s your favourite city? I’m not a real city person, but I think if I HAD to choose one of the cities I’m familiar with to live in, I would choose Portland, OR, because it seems to be a people-friendly city, and not as frantic as many cities are.
5. Who do you miss right now? My Gep and my Kat. I always miss them when they’re not here, or I’m not there.
6. What’s your coffee order? At home, my coffee order is straight black, because the waitress in this house doesn’t take orders very well, and believes in simplicity. At a coffee house? Well, that depends – my newest favorite is Starbucks’ Flat White, which I think is only available at Christmas. Otherwise, it would be a blended mocha in the summer, and maybe a Cafe Latte in winter, unless I was in the mood for something with more flavoring, maybe chocolate/cinnamony.
7. What’s your favourite alcohol/cocktail? Wine, red preferred, but a dry white is good sometimes too. Not much for hard alcohol – although an Irish Coffee or a Creme de Menthe drink is good occasionally.
8. Do you think social media is still social? Sometimes, but very often anymore it gets unkind. Too much protection in the anonymity the internet provides, I think, where few people are required to accept responsibility for their words. It seems to be something we’re losing, that acceptance of responsibility, kindness, compassion, caring, tolerance. Sigh.
9. What do you do on the weekend? Well, since I’m retired, I do pretty much on the weekend what I do during the weekdays – whatever it is I feel I absolutely must do or wish to do. Assuming, of course, it simply can’t be put off any longer, because if it can, it will be, so I won’t be doing it. Today anyway.
10. What’s your favourite quote? From Winnie the Pooh via A.A. Milne:
“What day is it?”
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.