These past weeks have been difficult for me – I have had little to share, because my muse has turned recluse and I seem to be collecting more cold pricklies than warm fuzzies. I have finally sat down these past couple of days and played a bit with inks – something I had not done for over a month, because my muse has turned recluse and I have been busy collecting cold pricklies. Since I am certain you are asking “why? What is it that’s bothering you?”, let me count the ways:
1. A winter that overstayed its welcome far too long, followed by an indecisive spring that cannot decide whether to be a continuation of winter, a decent spring, or maybe a touch of summer here and there. All of this has meant
2. Too many days of gray skies. Oh, there have been mornings that have started with blue skies and sunshine, only to be overridden by the gray before the morning is done. And yes, we’ve had a sunny day scattered here and there – just often enough to make us all express our awe at the beauty of the day, but not enough to satisfy the soul.
3. No beach walks or ocean waves to soothe my inner demons, those that visit because of the things that made me sad.
4. A world that seems to be breeding idjits that think the answer to whatever distresses them or whatever wrong they think has been done them is violence, death, maiming – damage.
5. Because of #4, there is too little caring, concern, welcoming, loving, smiling, wishing others well.
6. A political climate that is for me, to say the very least, extremely distressing. I know those who simply no longer pay attention, but I cannot do that. I cannot turn a blind eye to what I see as destruction of the future for our planet. That planet on which we live now – but I question whether it will survive us for our grandchildren and their children to live here too. I see a Congress that cannot agree on anything, cannot even consider working together, that can only do things “the way my party wants it done”, with no regard for the consequences it’s forcing on the people, the planet.
7. A president who behaves, in my opinion, like a little boy in big man’s clothing – who tweets his every disagreeable thought, who can give credit or respect to no one – who promised he would take care of the “little people” but has proposed a health care system and a budget that will do harm to everyone but his cronies, that 1% that needs no help. Who claims he is the subject of a witch hunt, and so I ask: If truly you have done no wrong, encouraged no wrong, are as innocent as you profess to be, why do you not speed up this whole process by cooperating? I realize that’s a foreign notion to you – one who has always just dictated how it will be – but you might be surprised at what cooperation could bring.
8. A cabinet consisting of no one that could possibly equate to or understand what the real “little people” in this country experience, how we must live, how we must struggle to continue surviving. How we feel ignored, until it comes time to reap our votes, then they are all “there for us”. At least with their words.
9. At a world growing increasingly corrupt with no ramifications apparent. Other than the continued demise of the “little people”.
10. At a society that is so desperate it blurs our thinking and our perceptions – it deludes us into believing, hearing, seeing, what we want to believe, hear, and see. Reality need not intrude. Neither may opposing opinions intrude. You say my side is hateful, I say your side is hateful. The truth is we are all becoming hateful.
So I have been seeing the world like this:
Wherein darkness is descending and there is little light to break the gloom.
Which makes me sad, and turns my muse into a recluse.