Trains and Clouds and Planes That Leave Late

Tuesday was a day that started earlier than I like, in part because Monday ended a little later than it should have. All my fault, it’s that darn second wind that hits me just before the time I should go to bed. But Tuesday the alarm rang at 5:30 a.m., as I had asked it to. Then Amtrak texted me – train is late. Alarm rang again at 6:00 a.m., as I had asked it to. Train is late, but may be gaining time. My kind neighbor drove me to town so I was at the station before the train – because it’s best if it’s done that way when you want to actually get on the train and go somewhere. It came in and we left – about an hour late. Work on the tracks, they said.

We headed north, past the lake, making our first stop, heading north, north, north, up into the mountains.


A view from the train. I read, I snoozed, I people-watched, I made cooing noises over a baby only a few weeks old, I snoozed. I ate a not-very-good-but-way-too-expensive sandwich for lunch. I snoozed. And, at last, we arrived in Portland to sunshine and blue skies although it had obviously rained earlier.


I made my way to my motel, my home for the night, finding the appropriate MAX train connections in the appropriate places going only in semi-circles to get there as opposed to full circles, which I often do. I settled in, I put my feet up and sat with a glass of ice water for a bit – because I had only been sitting all day, you know. Then I wandered a couple of blocks to a restaurant where I had halibut with rice and summer squash and a green salad, which I ate as I read my ebook. It seemed a good evening to just go for it, so I completed my meal with blackberry cobbler and ice cream. Then back to the room to watch a bit of TV and get to sleep fairly early since the next morning was going to start early again.

The plane departed a bit later than scheduled and was routed south over Nashville instead of straight across over Chicago because of the recent problem in Chicago. which required a last-minute topping off of the gas tank (I wonder about that – it seems they should have figured that out sooner) and added an additional half hour to the flight time. Uh oh. I only had about 50 minutes time between our scheduled arrival in Philadelphia and departure time for the last leg of the trip. Clouds on my horizon.




And the clouds built. Yes, we landed late. Ten minutes before my connection was to leave, but luck was on my shoulder. There were two of us on the plane that had the same connection, and the connection plane was a very small plane which only had to fly to my destination and back to Philadelphia, so they held it. They waited for us! We sprinted to the shuttle bus that would carry us to our departing terminal, we sprinted to our gate, they changed our gate so we sprinted back to the new gate. We boarded our plane, which lifted off about 35 minutes late, just in time for the sunset.


I arrived at my destination and my friend and her daughter were waiting for me. We gathered my luggage and headed home where we visited for awhile, had a glass of wine and ultimately headed to bed where I slept soundly.

Today was largely a day of rest, but we did a little touring. More about that and tomorrow another time as already this has gone on long enough.

About Carol

I'm me - nothing unusual, just me. Widowed, 2 grown children who are my best friends, 1 dog, retired, loving being retired. I am woman, I am strong.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Trains and Clouds and Planes That Leave Late

  1. Cee Neuner says:

    You sure had a good vibe for traveling right now. Good on you. Have fun.


  2. suzicate says:

    Hope you have a fabulous time!


  3. Carol — I know you’re having a complete and total blast now that you’ve actually arrived safe and sound at your destination. Whoohoo!


  4. lisa says:

    A plane waited? Unheard of!! I love the clouds on your horizon shots out the window. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I’ve been away and trying to catch up on commenting today.


  5. You were lucky that plane waited. I’d be exhausted after that travel itinerary! Luckily you got there safely and had time to rest. 🙂


I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.